hitch pins

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 12:19:51 -0700

Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ed Carwithen=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 10:36 AM
  Subject: hitch pins

  I have a Hoffman piano (my book lists several Hoffman types, but not =
this one, so I don't know the year, probably 1910-1920), previously a =
player, with badly ringing strings starting about C6.  I isolated =
several strings and determined that pressing against the hitch pins =
eliminated the problem.  In the past I have made improvement by gently =
tapping hitch pins in and/or using epoxy on them. =20
    My question is, what kind of danger do I run by tapping in these =
pins.  Am I likely to split the bridge? =20
  Other considerations??

  Ed Carwithen
  John Day, OR