Dunce of the Year

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 14:53:02 -0600

List,

Here is my "Dunce of the Year" contribution!

Last month I replaced key bushings on both rails of a Steinway grand from
the 1930's.  I was so proud of myself, because I had measured the balance
rail key pins to choose the correct size of caul.  On this piano, the
balance rail keypins are larger than the front rail keypins, and like a
dunce, I used the same set of cauls for both sets of bushings.  When I
reinstalled the keys, the balance rail key bushings were just right, but
there was about .030" of play at the front of the key.  Needless to say, I
redid the front rail keybushings using the correct cauls, and corrected the
problem.  But it took half a day to redo the keybushings.  An extra 30
seconds of time measuring the front keypins could have saved me 4 hours of
working time.   What is that old saying... ?  "Measure twice, cut once..."

Please submit your entries for the Dunce of the Year contest!

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO