pinblock drilling----completed

Bigeartb@AOL.COM Bigeartb@AOL.COM
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 19:14:56 EST

Gentlemen:
Again, thank you. I completed the pinblock drilling today. What did I do???
For the most part I drilled @ 4 to 5 degrees leaning back in line with the
agraffes. Ya'll made me real nervous about the 7 degree angle. This piano has
more tuning pin "fan" than most pianos and the webbing is high in the back
and low in the front. I used basic instinct and hopefully good judgement
coupled with your suggestions.  I can tell you this for sure..... rebuilding
an ole Starr 1910  ,5' 2", grand piano with a Chickering type pinblock
bolting in from the bottom, is not worth the trouble. I can't believe I let
this sweet little grandma  talk me into this so she can donate it to the
church.
Today, after successfully drilling the pinblock, I stepped on a 5gal. can to
reach my neatly stored dampers. I fell off the can...busted my "tootoo"
....hurt my elbow cause I was holding onto the dampers and couldn't break my
fall.. bass dampers went flying out . Have you ever tried to realign a whole
set of bass dampers?  I did...I think.
I'm going to church again tonight. Tomorrow will be a better day!!!!

Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.