more beginner questions

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 19:36:53 EST

poseyviolins@charter.net writes:

> I'm working on regulating the action of a Heintzman baby grand.  All my
> reference drawings show two separate springs for the jack and escapement
> lever but this piano has only one that seems to do both jobs.  There is a
> little tiny screw at the end of the escapement lever(away from the roller).
> What does it do?  I made all of the measurements for key leveling and dip,
> hammer travel and "where the jack trips".  But the touch feels "vague" like
> theres no power.  When they say , "the jack trips" do they mean it begins to
> move or it is all the way out of the way?
> Thanks
> Gerald

Gerlad

Are you sure the reference drawings you are looking at is the same as the
wippen in the Heintzman grand. There are several different kinds of wippens,
so you might be looking at two different things. There are some wippens with
one spring. At least all that you can see.

The tiny screw at the end of the lever is to adjust the tension of he wippen.
With the hammer in check, the hammer should rise gently when you let go of
the key slowly. If it pops up, you want to reduce the tension. If it doesn't
rise at all, you want to tighten the screw.

Jack escapes means just that. When it totally escapes from the knuckle.

I hope this explains it.

Wim