Chickering Quarter Grand Quality

w peterson wpeterson2@socal.rr.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:40:42 -0800

If it is checking it has a shellac finish on it.  If you carefully strip it
with a rag saturated in alcohol, you can preserve the old stain and patina.
I would then give it a coat of brushed satin varnish.  I guarantee it will
look like a museum piece.

Bill Peterson
----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Goodale <rrg@unlv.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: Chickering Quarter Grand Quality

> Interesting enough I just bought a Chickering Quarter Grand from a
> client yesterday.  It is actually in pretty decent shape and was
> restrung about six years ago. Whoever did it seems to have done a decent
> job of it.  It formally had an Ampico player in it, (too bad some ding
> bat removed it), so it has big double legs which have some fancy
> turning.  The case is really nice with two-tone veneer pieces and a
> scrolled desk.  It could use a good refinishing although it does not
> look dark at all, only checked.  It is the Centennial special edition
> with a little brass plaque screwed to the plate.  I think it would look
> classy all buffed up and shined.  I only paid $1,800 for it.
>
> Alan Meyer and I are going to make it a joint project.  We aren't going
> to do a full rebuild for lack of time and current space.  We are just
> going to fix it up nice and then resell it quick for money toward our
> shop.    I figure new hammers/shanks, dampers and front key bushings.
>  Six chipped ivory tops need to be replaced.  I'm going to sand it down
> and fill the checking with sealer and then shoot it with a coat of
> lacquer.  After a good rub down it should look half way decent.  I'm
> sure we could unload it fast for about $5,000.00,  (does anyone have an
> opinion on this?)  Sometime I would like to do a complete restoration on
> one of these, I think there is a lot of potential there.
>
> Rob Goodale, RPT
> Las Vegas, NV
>

> Farrell wrote:
>
> >I service a 5' 7" 1907 Chickering Quarter Grand, scale 121. Just tuned it
today. Just curious if anyone has rebuilt one of these - what kind of
results has anyone had. It appears to be a massively built piano. Very heavy
sawn inner rim laminated outer rim. Heavy bracing underneath, all arranged
in a rather splendid manner. Back scale on both the long bridge and bass
bridge a "country mile" long - I know Del would like that. 52 mm C88
speaking length. It only has five ribs on the whole soundboard!

> >Looks to me like a piano that would respond very well to an efficient
soundboard, maybe a separate low tenor bridge, etc., etc.,. The width of
this piano is only about two inches wider than the 88-note keyboard.