I Wish!

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 20:28:20 EST

In a message dated 3/12/02 7:10:29 PM Central Standard Time,=20
dm.porritt@verizon.net (David M. Porritt) writes:

> Play Rechmaninoff's Prelude in C# minor without a sostenuto.  Yes, I
> .

I'm not sure about this, maybe only the people who know it's supposed to be=20
that way.

I went to a recital last Friday night where Andr=E0s Schiff played a=20
Bosendorfer Imperial Concert Grand.  It was tuned in ET with the octaves=20
overly stretched.  To me, everything sounded out of tune.  He played=20
Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, the first movement with the damper pedal down=20
the whole way through.  I could hardly believe it.  At first, I thought it=20
must have been stuck but I saw his foot nailed to it.  It sounded terrible,=20
the way someone who didn't know how to use the pedal would play it.

I don't know how many of the audience could tell but he did receive a=20
standing ovation (but I surely didn't stand up except to leave).  Now,=20
perhaps, the Broadwood piano of Beethoven's day did not have as long of a=20
sustain and this may have worked.  The Bosendorfer did have one of the=20
richest lowest registers I have ever heard and very good sustain.

Anybody have any ideas on why an artist of his supposed caliber would do thi=
s?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin
 <A HREF=3D"http://www.billbremmer.com/">Click here: -=3Dw w w . b i l l b r=