Fees

PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 15:06:05 EST

List,

I have long used the same method for billing the customer as David.  It has
worked well for me.  I explain to the customer how I charge beforehand, and
there has never been an issue.  I can spend a little more time getting the
piano up to pitch, or getting rid of a rattle or buzz, doing a minor repair
without fretting about how to tell the customer.

I recently encountered a beautiful but neglected 1922 Steinway A.  It hadn't
been tuned in 8 years, and I don't think the soundboard had been cleaned for
a couple of decades.  The music desk had lost screws(and some wood along with
them).  In addition to my basic tuning fee(based on 1 1/2 hours like David),
I spent an extra hour getting this beauty so that it sounded and looked like
it should.  No complaints about "fine print" from the customer, extra $ and
satisfaction for the tech.

>From my experience seems that people have an easier time with a base fee and
an hourly rate thereafter than with being told that their piano needs this
adjusted, that changed, this tweaked, that regulated, all for an extra fee.
Everyone has a way that feels more comfortable to them; this is the one that
works for me.

Just my 2 cents(pun intended),

Dave Stahl