tuning high treble

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 07:50:37 -0500

Mickey,

I strip-mute the whole piano.  For the top section in most consoles and spinets
I insert a strip mute, then push it with my fingers below the hammer strike
line, starting at C8 and working left.  (Does being left-handed make a
difference?)  When I get to where the dampers start, I gently pull 3-4 away
from the strings and push the mute down between the dampers and the strings.

When the center string is tuned the whole way up, I remove the mute, again
carefully lifting 3-4 dampers at a time if there's any chance of damaging them
by just ripping the mute out.  One needs to be careful both when inserting the
mute and removing it, because you don't want to damage the dampers at all.

I tune the side strings using standard rubber mutes with handles.  There's not
much room left for the hammer to hit the string where the dampers are, but I
can usually make it work.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger