Muting high treble

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 00:45:33 +0100

Hello Don,

it's a bit difficult to clearly explain. Each tuner I work with have his own
way of tuning the unisons, some with a very stable ringing very soon, others
with a definite move of pitch during the attack, others with a percussive
attack and a string leaning a bit in the unison in the intention to add
brilliance (always at the detriment of warmness and plenitude). We all tune
the pitch a little after the attack, the so-called "bloom" I believe , even
if on modern pianos with tensioned hammers the bloom can be very immediate.
What we regulate then is the strong ness and clearness of the attack, and
the way the sound open or die after that.
The way the higher partials stabilize gives a pitch move (sometime of nearly
2cts on some pianos)
As we all work the sound by the tuning of a 2 strings unisons against the
tuning of the 2 remaining strings, but there are generally only 3 strings
for a plain wire note (;>), that allows for a lot of possibilities around
the good spot. I have a colleague who tunes one doublet lending high and the
remaining lending low, in a way the 2 doublets gives a warmer an longer
stable sound, another tune the middle string low and the external strings as
the target pitch to reach, having a sound with a simple move and more
purity,

The move in the unison is what makes the piano sing, it add life without the
necessity to use the sustain pedal.

How to do that ? First I found a touch that correspond to the voicing of the
piano, so the hammers are giving much energy to the strings. I try to tune
the projected sound as if I was hearing if at some distance of the piano. I
try not to listen at all to the attack sound (or only when play very softly
for final polishing), as it is tiring and not the most important thing. I
tune the note so the sound is the longer, and the hammers love to rebound on
the strings. The nicer sound is at the same time the stable one and it is
only when all is settled that it appears, so the holding is less a concern
than you can think. I believe we need some masking effect to hear correctly
while tuning, that is why it is sometime easy to tune in a noisy
environment, because then you focus to the important part and not on
disturbing details.

A common test is that it is possible to play legato very easily, if I play
scales or trills any harshness will appear and ask for correction. As a
principe I try to stick to what had always been told , let the piano tells
you when he likes it !
Make an experiment : tune the unisons with the sustain pedal engaged (half
engaged if you prefer), play not too strong, but listen to the moment the
sound opens the stronger and the purer. You will be surprised that it is
possible to have perfect unisons with the whole piano sounding. It is
particularly true in the treble, as good unisons there are notes with a long
ringing time, you can hear the good spot fairly well there, and the freeness
of the bridge with all that strings ringing help to settle the string
faster. May be it is unfair for the ears, it is possible, but that works
well for me if ears too tired (and that allows for special attack sounds too
!).

There is a second point, about Verituner this one. The VT listen to all the
partials together and display the pitch differently than others EDT because
of that. I would not surprised to have a different display with 2 or 3
strings than with one only, this is more noticeable than on the 1 partial
display tuners.

All my best to my dear colleagues.

Isaac OLEG

P.S. While tuning (unison) and watching an EDT it is very easy to obtain a
sound that is too closed and less lively, only because we try to stabilize
more than necessary that damned spinner.