Muting high treble

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 09:55:11 -0600

>Why do you want to settle unisons during a pitch raise?
>
>Paul Chick

To minimize the battle of setting them during the tuning. At some point
during a pitch raise (of any significance) and tuning, you have to get the
strings to render through the bridge and roughly equalize segment tensions
or your tuning won't be solid. I try to do this on the pitch raise pass to
get all the segment tensions as close to where they should end up as I can.
Again, there is a difference between long term tuning stability and
producing a solid tuning in the first place, and these are usually
discussed as if they were the same thing. They ain't. The differences being
discussed here between "tuning stability" of strip muting vs mute chasing
aren't long term tuning stability concerns at all. They are part of what we
deal with in just trying to produce a solid finished tuning, and the only
effect on that result the different muting methods will have is a result of
how the employed methods fit with the individual tuner's techniques and how
close what he thinks he is doing comes to what is actually required for a
solid tuning, regardless of whether he's actually doing what he thinks he's
doing or not. If the tuner can produce a more solid and finished tuning
with individual mutes than with strips, I say go for it. If strips work
better for him, then I say go for it. Neither is inherently inferior or
superior to the other. The test of whether or not what was intended is what
was accomplished is how the tuning sounds after a week or two of normal
play in a stable environment - which is something we all have ready access
to and check regularly, right?

Ron N