answer to mystery noise

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:22:33 EST

Only Roger attempted to answer the mystery noise, so I'll give the answer.

To recap. "On a 25 year old KG2, (5'2" Kawai grand, in very good condition,
considering it is in a practice room), there was a strange noise on notes d2
- g2. On a medium to hard blow, it sounded like metal buzz. Upon closer
inspection, it wasn't a metal buzz, but a high pitched groan. Not only that,
but a very small adjustment on each key and a little rubbing in the right
place, solved the problem."

The noise came from the jack escaping from the knuckle. I don't know why it
did that, and why only on those notes, since all the jacks were under the
knuckles in the right place. But I solved the problem by moving the jack
1/64" inch forward, and lightly filing the knuckle.

Wim