VIRUS Alert!

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 21:02:27 -0500

There is a lot of fuzzy thinking going on about computer viruses.

For example, the sense of security that you get from using McAfee or Norton
anti-virus utilities is a false one.  Commercial anti-virus products can
protect you from many, but not all viruses.  When a new virus is first sent
out by its maker, it is generally indistinguishable from a benign
program.  There are a few general virus-like behaviors that can be detected
by anti-virus software and thus allow the timely detection of a new
virus.  But virus makers have caught on to that weakness and most new
viruses do not exhibit any virus-like behavior until it is too late to stop
them from doing their damage.  Once a virus has been in circulation long
enough to come to the attention of someone at McAfee or Norton, then they
analyze it and determine a "fingerprint" for it.  Then when you update your
anti-virus database (you do this every week or so, right?) the fingerprint
is added to the database.  Only then does your anti-virus software have the
capability of recognizing the new virus.  But are you sure that all this
will happen before the new virus hits your machine?

Everyone wants someone else to take responsibility.  Mike Kurta even
suggested running some unknown software from Czechoslovakia.  How do you
know that the Czechoslovakian software is not itself a vehicle for a
virus?  What do you really know about the maker of that
software?  Anti-virus software is not something you can test.  You can only
evaluate it based on reputation.  To the average user, a faulty anti-virus
utility appears to behave identically to a excellent one.  Both programs
can say "No Viruses Detected" equally well.  The chances are your
anti-virus software will get its first serious test on the job when correct
detection really matters.

Richard Moody says:

 >I am a firm believer that ISP's can and should be the fore
 >front in stopping viruses, worms and other....

They may try, Richard, but they can't do the job perfectly.  In fact they
can't even do the job as well as McAfee and Norton.

What it all comes down to is taking responsibility for your own
protection.  You must be the one to pass judgement on which program is
allowed to run on your machine and which is not.  You must become familiar
with what kinds of files are potential carriers and which are safe.  You
must become knowledgeable about what it takes to open an
attachment.  Recently there was some discussion about Microsoft's e-mail
programs opening attachments automatically.  This has been fixed by
Microsoft, so check their web-site for information about how to update your
Outlook or Internet Explorer e-mail.  As far as I know, Eudora does not
have that problem.

So run anti-virus software if you want.  Use an ISP that filters for
viruses if you want.  But don't count on either of these measures to keep
viruses from your computer.  You might even decide that a weak safety line
is worse than no safety line at all.

-Robert Scott
  Ypsilanti, MI