Plate removal

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 00:14:51 EST

In a message dated 3/30/2002 8:32:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
HazenBannister@cs.com writes:

> Subj:Plate removal
> Date:3/30/2002 8:32:27 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:HazenBannister@cs.com">HazenBannister@cs.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>             Hazen

    I use a double reduced electric hoist from Harbor freight($89.00) along
with their orange 5 dollar adjustable tiedowns that allow precise leveling of
the plate. Sometimes the plate needs to be canted towards (usually) the bass
and down a bit so as to slip that corner in under a music desk slide flange
on stwys at least.
   We are usually  have all the major belly work including bearing done
before the piano goes to finish. We finish with plate removed. We finish the
board and the case then slip the plate in hopefully only one last time. I
protect the rim with 10 mil  mylar or thin card board to prevent damageto the
rim.  A chain hoist or geared down  electric hoist is perfect for the slow
and careful  plate reentry. Sometimes slight damage is unavoidable but it's
usually easily touched.
 Hope that helps