Knee Board Fabrication

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 12:41:24 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Jamison" <mortier@netreach.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 11:13 AM
Subject: Knee Board Fabrication

> I'm working on some studio pianos with missing knee boards. There are 7, all
> mahogany Sohmer studios. They measure 18 3/4" X  52", so I'd get only one
> per 4X8 sheet of plywood. Any suggestions?
>
> Philip Jamison
> West Chester, PA

My first question is.  Why are they missing?  Was someone trying to let more sound out or more mice in?

First, ordinary plywood is not the best material.  It can have voids internally containing a wood chip that can rattle.  You can't find it or fix it.  Lumber core plywood is the preferred, but is hard to come by and expensive.  As much as particle board is vilified, it is the material of choice for speaker cabinets since it has little resonance and no voids.  You could glue enough to the board to get the width you need and cover with door skins that are available for remodeling worn or discolored doors.  Luan is the common wood but may be available in other wood as well.

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@attbi.com