S&S D Duplex

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:59:16 -0500

At 6:36 PM -0500 11/18/02, A440A@aol.com wrote:
>I wonder if the duplexes have more effect via instantaneous impedance
>changes in the bridge than actually producing much sound on their own. Out of
>phase phenomena cause some profound effects on vibrating bodies.

Out of phase would imply tuned, wouldn't it? (If frequencies don't
match then phase doesn't mean much.)

>The contribution of the backstrings, and the front duplexes, seems to
>depend on the hammers.  A soft hammer, with the duplexes, gives a broad tonal
>range.  A soft hammer without the duplexes sounds dead.  A hard hammer with
>the duplexes zings and whistles,  A hard hammer without the duplexes sounds
>hard and empty, (which is what seems to please the producers most!)

Very good point, the extent to which the voicing (and condition of
the hammers) determines whether the duplexes' effects are noticeable.
Would you guess that this is affected one way or another by whether
the rear duplexes have been tuned?

Inquiring minds have just woken up and are hungry.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Can you check out this middle C?. It "whangs' - (or twangs?)
     Thanks so much, Ginger"
     ...........Service Request