When is a Steinway still a Steinway..getting OT

Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:52:26 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: <JIMRPT@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 19, 2002 9:24 AM
Subject: Re: When is a Steinway still a Steinway..getting OT

> In a message dated 19/11/02 12:21:47 PM, pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:
>
> << a decent small piano and name it
>
> Brambach  >>
>
> Well you 'couuuuld' but it would be an oxymoron, nes pe??
> Phil Jolly

Not necessarily. In several ways I consider Brambach to have been a
successful piano designer. Think of what he was attempting to do. In the
1920s he set out to build a grand piano for the masses. I.e., one that was
both small enough to fit into the smaller homes of the working class and
inexpensive enough for the working class to afford. And he was attempting to
do this using an American work force to which were paid prevailing wages as
opposed to going offshore and exploiting pathetically underpaid workers in
some 'developing' country. And he had to do it without the benefit of highly
sophisticated, automated machinery. And he did do it using reasonably decent
materials as opposed to Select Hardwood. (No, you'll not find a lot of maple
or oak in a Brambach, but you will find a lot of poplar which is not all
that bad if used properly. Now, it is certainly true that some mistakes were
made both in design and construction but the bottom line is that he
succeeded. His pianos were not intended to last through the ages--and we all
know that they didn't. Though we keep trying. I do wonder what would have
become of the Brambach piano if the 1930s depression had not come along.

Del

(PS. I just remembered that I shortchanged the name by one composer: in
addition to the obvious--Bach--there is also a phonetic reference to Brahms.
Let's face it--Brambach is a great piano name! Too bad it wasn't also a
great piano.)