Butt-Jointed Ribs

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 07:45:32 -0500

Del either posted recently, or I read it the other day in one of his Journal articles (that I was reading for the umpteenth time) that some piano manufacturer somewhere had apparently successfully finger jointed short pieces of spruce together to make up a rib. Obviously a great use for short pieces of expensive spruce.

If ribs are laminated, let's say with four to eight laminations, I wonder what would be the effects of making all the rib laminations out of two butt-jointed pieces, and spreading the butt joints evenly (or preferentially) over the length of the rib.

Has anyone tried this? Is a thicker rib required to compensate for any weakness induced by the multi-segmented laminations? And if so, would scarfing the lamination butt joint effectively eliminate that weakness? What ratio of scarf?

I think I just dug a hole for myself. Here, I'll save everyone the trouble of responding:

Terry,
Please go ahead and field test the idea and report back to list with results. Thanks.

Terry Farrell