S&S D Duplex

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 02:32:29 +1100

To Bill Ballard and other stayers,

At 2:12 PM -0500 24/11/02, Bill Ballard wrote:
>. . .  If there are people still interested in this thread, may be
>the better way to advance their knowledge might be to post the rear
>duplex locations for a common Steinway scale, say the M. I measured
>the end notes of a Steinway M in a home Friday afternoon:
>
>Note #	SL	RDL	Interval	SL/RDL	Nearest Whole RDL
>D55	11.36"	2.77"	m9	4.10	2.84"
>G71	5.94	1.76	P11	3.55	1.48
>G#72	4.56	1.49	P11	3.06	1.52
>88	2.02	0.98	m9	2.06	1.01

Thank you Bill. These figures are typical of Steinway's approach to
the rear duplex, in which they demonstrate no real desire to build
pianos to the rhetoric of their promotional literature.

>. . . I was quite happy with the way the top two section of this
>piano sounded.

Indeed, I have no doubt that instruments can sound quite decent in
spite of the rear duplexes being out of tune. After all, contrary to
some claims which have been put forward on this list, the rear duplex
contributes a very small improvement (from my observation at least)
to the sustaining qualities of a note. If we wish to achieve
sustaining qualities, there are far more significant factors such as
rim rigidity, bridge pin tightness and bridge dimensions, speaking
length termination shape (and its hardness and lack of hysteresis
loss) and the overall structural integrity of the sound board
assembly's cellular structure (floppy old collapsed sound boards
mostly exhibit poor sustain, which sound more like a duck than a
piano).

I believe that a far more beneficial outcome, in getting the rear
duplexes in tune, is to rid the extreme top end of that annoying
chorus effect that some pianos exhibit when some 'assemblers' (be
them manufacturers or rebuilders) set the rear duplexes just close
enough that they take up energy sympathetically, but are just out of
tune enough to be downright annoying (Del mentioned this a couple of
days ago). And since I've almost digressed to one's technical
background (manufacturer or rebuilder), a member of this list made a
comment recently to suggest that Ron Nossaman might not have a
factory background, and thus might be incapable of a 'proper
understanding of the light' when it comes to being obsessed about the
duplex. What on earth has someone's background got to do with their
ability to understand and grasp concepts? What pompous nonsense!

THE LATE GREAT ALFRED WEGENER

The comment made reminded me again of the hounding which Alfred
Wegener (a German meteorologist) received from the President of the
American Philosophical Society when Wegener presented his tectonic
plate theory to an international meeting of geologists in 1912, when
the theory (that the continents drifted across the face of earth) was
described as 'utter, damned rot'. Wegener continued to live the rest
of his life with the reputation of 'that meteorologist with the
absurd theory'. And while he didn't live long enough to see his
theory proved (which was in 1966), many of his detractors were alive
to witness it. Strangely quiet has been the criticism of Wegener
since '66.

However I digress, forgive me for being so incensed at the recent
criticism levelled at our colleague Ron N., but I too have no factory
background and indeed no formal qualifications as a piano technician.
Nevertheless, much help from talented and generous people (such as
the late Newton Hunt and many others) has I hope helped me to become
a technician of some worth, regardless of the lack of pedigree. I was
particularly annoyed at the statement made since I think most on this
list would agree that Ron Nossaman is someone who (like several other
'leading lights' on this list) is prepared to think about all aspects
of our discipline in an intelligent manner and in a spirit of open
enquiry. What a breath of fresh air this can be, since it is the only
way that our industry will progress, and hopefully escape the
drudgery of looking backwards at what someone did or said 130 years
ago (which is quite irrelevant when it comes to serious contemporary
piano research).

>At 7:21 PM -0500 11/17/02, Bill Ballard wrote:
>. . . Dan, at this point there may be a dozen of us on this list who
>are willing to try tuning a RDL (either by sliding duplexes or with
>a tuning hammer). This may be your remaining chance of convincing
>any of us.

Have we ever set up pianos with properly tuned duplexes?
Yes we have. Our 1977 Hamburg Steinway D (1996 rebuild) was an
example (along with two other rebuilt Steinway Ds, a few Kawai's and
recently our piano no. 003). Firstly, a duplex sliding tool is a
complete waste of time on a piano unless it has individual tunable
blocks. The modern Steinway is not duplex-tunable unless the cast
block groups are substituted with individual moveable blocks. All the
rebuilt piano's mentioned earlier in this paragraph were fitted with
individual duplex blocks. The 1996 rebuilt D can be seen at;

http://overspianos.com.au/testa.html

The hamburg Steinway D rear duplex lengths for the top two string
sections are intended to be:

(from top C no. 88 down)

	6 notes @ 100% of speaking length - unisons
	11 notes @ 2/3 of speaking length - perfect fifth higher
	7 notes @ 1/2 of speaking length - one octave higher
	8 notes @ 1/3 of speaking length - one octave and a perfect
fifth higher
	3 notes @ 1/4 of speaking length - two octaves higher

However, the real duplex lengths in a factory Steinway D can be
anywhere up to a whole tone out of tune, such is the 'fastidious'
nature of this company. If you check the image of our rebuilt D (via
link above), you will notice that the hitch pin 'lines' do not follow
the tuned blocks. This is most likely due to the fact that this piano
does not have a Steinway string scale. The string scale incorporated
is my own which I designed back around 1990 (I have four rebuilt Ds
with this scale currently in service). The last three lower duplexes,
which are tuned to a double octave higher, required the hitch pins to
be relocated back to enable the blocks to be placed in a position
which enabled correct tuning. Although this piano had quite a clean
tone, it really doesn't prove much about the perceived benefits of
tuning the rear duplex since there are so many other design changes
included which have no relationship to a standard Steinway piano (and
yes there is a transfer on the plate which lists the Overs
modifications - along with the added wording 'Rebuilt in Australia'
alongside the original 'Made in Germany' - to allow the S&S 'passing
off' counsel to turn their attentions to matters other than pianos
which we have chosen to modify with the client's consent - for those
who may be interested, the damper felt on the illustrated piano is
Yamaha CF)

>  So why don't you post the recommended tuning (or even recommended
>RDLs) for the common Steinway M

Who could know what the correct figures for the duplexes might be
Bill, since according to many of the comments on this list, the
bridges and plate would seem to be 'thrown in' wherever they might
happen to land?

>(and maybe throw the info for a Steinway D, considering that Sarah's
>Wissner is as much a copy of the D as my Steinert is of the M).

Hey Sarah, have the Wissner crew 'chosen' to use the F21 183 cm
speaking length that was originally chosen by Steinway, and which has
since been popularised by Fazioli, Kawai and Yamaha - we're all
individuals? Who knows, if some one should dare to design a piano
with an F21 speaking length other than 183 cm the deviant instrument
might self destruct.

Sorry for that - the Hamburg D intended duplex ratios are listed above.

The individual blocks must be in the correct position to allow the
rear duplex segments to be tunable (so the cast duplex block groups
will be as useless as tits on a bull). Although the slider (mine is
an official Fazioli tool) will allow you to position the block
correctly, it still must be tuned, which is achieved by rubbing the
speaking length or duplex length depending on the direction of duplex
pitch adjustment required. I wrote a lengthy description of this
procedure last year on this list - for those of you who are
interested check the archives. Believe me this whole process is a lot
of trouble for a small gain. We're still using it with our new pianos
for the rear duplex only (tuned front duplexes are a complete waste
of effort but that's another story) - can't say for how long (perhaps
its just one of my obsessions).

Apologies for the length folks if you stayed with me. So much for the
design work which was planned for this evening. Ah well, it was 40
degrees C here today in Sydney. Its too hot for serious work.

Regards,
Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY