Belly rail crown - Why???

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:21:03 -0600

>         John worked for M& H and now Stwy.  I'm sorry, I thought you knew
> that New Mason& Hamlins are rib crowned boards with tighter radii up into
> the treble.

I did.

>Does that help? The rest of your point I understand.

Well, no, but ok.

>                Ron
>          Sounds like a reasonable asumption.
>        I've installed only two panels that thin and did NO thinning
> .That's a thin panel!!!

Yes it is. Ok, that calibrates it for me. Thanks. That's the neat thing
about the radical design departure. More and smaller high crowned ribs can
more closely anticipate and control stiffness with a thinner panel, with
less overall mass. You actually get to design the thing from the string
scale out, and the rim in instead of guestimating the merits of incremental
modifications to the existing design. It's still guestimating, but it sure
feels a lot more sure and right to me. Again, maybe I'm just weird, but I
really like it.

>  Many things work. We all agree that rib crowning is a superior method
> for longeveity but I've heard some amazing sounding compression crowned
> boards that are not inferior tonally to my rib crowned boards. Makes me
> scratch my head.
>         Dale Erwin

Yes, many things work (or not), and the best compression crowned boards
sound every bit as good as the best rib crowned. Since my worst "radical"
rib crowned board sounded  as good as my average 60' rib
crowned/compression board of times past (far better than my worst), and I
have no doubt what I'm doing now will live longer, I'm pretty sure where my
money's going.

Best,

Ron N