When will it end?

Larry Beach lbeach@sfu.ca
(No, or invalid, date.)

I have heard that the human ear is capable of distinguishing two notes
played one after the other if they differ by more than 5 cents.  Now, 5
cents above 440 works out to 441.3 Hz so if the listener heard the concert
at 440 Hz, then again at 442 Hz, they may be able to hear the difference!
I think I may be agreeing with you that the listener is not going to notice
that the orchestra tuned to 442 Hz by hearing the pitch difference.  (Some
music students can't seem to tell the difference between two notes, but
that's a different story!)

I suspect that because the higher pitch creates a higher tension on the
stringed instruments, the higher harmonics will sound more creating a more
'brilliant' sound.

What I can't stand is listening to recordings that have been 'tweaked' to
sound 50 cents sharp.  Then music students tend to complain that 'my piano
doesn't sound bright enough!'  :)

Larry Beach, RPT
Vancouver, BC

> Today - tonight, I prepared the Steinway for the Vienna Radio Symphony -
If they