New Steinway D problem

Tue, 03 Sep 2002 18:51:06 +0200

Thanks Jon and Bob.

Actually Steinway is involved, in the sense that their rep. is the fellow who
decided to turn the "bell" bolt, and he says he confered with Hamburg and got the
go ahead to give it a full turn. The nut underneath was said to have been
relatively easy to turn with an adjustable wrench, tho it was certainly more the
quite snug. You can see about a 1 mm gap now between the outermost edge of the lip
of the bell where it screws into the underside of the case/rim.

I have very good reason to want to solve this problem locally, thats why I want a
good assessment of the risk involved in taking off this bar and bushing it.

Jon, the down bearing question was what got me into this in the first place. I
heard this story friday nite and asked if I could come out to take a look see.
Didnt seem right at all to start tightening this bolt to fix a buzz from one note
in the first place, and the stress on the plate and increased downbearing issues
didnt sound good either.

Thanks for your replies... I have a day or two to think on the matter.... sure
would be nice to nail this one tho. :)

Cheers
RicB

--