piano from a smoker

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:15:34 EDT

In a message dated 9/18/02 9:55:37 AM Central Daylight Time, ruthr@sover.net
writes:

> I welcome any suggestions on how to rid a piano of its cigarette smoke
> smell.  The client has chemical sensitivity so all solutions may not be
> useable.
> Ruth Richards, RPT

Ruth

Wash the case with Murphy's Oil Soap, and then polish the piano with a good
furniture polish.

On the inside, there is not much that can be "cleaned." I would remove all
the keys, and vacuum out the dirt and dust and even wash, again, with
Murphy's, the keybed and frame. You can even wash each of the keys. Vacuum
out and wash the bottom board. (Or soundboard if it is a grand.) As for the
rest of the piano, use Fabreze. You can spray it on the action parts, I would
be careful about spraying in the strings, but certainly any other surface.

Wim