Slow Console Action

Thu, 03 Apr 2003 16:35:46 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> Kinda. When you get the system into its stuck mode with the jack not properly reset, instead of lifting the hammer, I just pushed the back of the key down a tad and the jacks seemed to snap back into resting position with a fair bit of force. I should think the jack center and spring are at least adequate for most pianos (maybe not this one) - and I did lube the jack center. Of course, the spring may not be as strong as a new spring - and that would certainly help.

Well,,, grin... thats a big clue.... and fits well Rons reply to you. You might do a quick double check on a few notes with the test I gave to be sure.

> I guess what the deal is this some of these pianos is that - assuming they worked when new - their function was marginal on day one. As the performance of any component drops to 90% - or especially if numerous components drop in performance, as is the norm for any piano as it ages - the action stops working. And that is that.

Sounds pretty reasonable

> What is the main design criteria that these pianos miss with? Is it key length? Is the key center not in the right place (too far back)? The action is the same as a taller vertical. Is it that the keys are not weighted? Is it a smaller wippen and jack assembly and therefore less wippen weight? Or is it all of the above?

Dont really know the K&C upright all that well. I used to do a fair amount on the grands... basically a Samick. I suppose the pianos are pretty much the same as well. We dont see this problem on Samicks over here. Tho I susspect you should be able to rule out key leading by simply finding out how much there is in the first place. Maybe temporary placing of a 5 gram or so lead on the back side of some of the keys to see what results, or perhaps looking at your BW (dampers disengaged).

Could be any of the things you mention, or just wear and tear leading to sluggishness. I am afraid its up to you to diagnose the problem... but hey !!! you're that bright guy we all know and love !! You'll handle it !

I'd like to hear what you end up comming up with to solve the prob.

> Terry Farrell

Cheers
RicB

--