Thomas Piano ??

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 14:37:55 EST

In a message dated 4/4/03 12:03:34 PM Central Standard Time,
td_tuner@hotmail.com writes:

> Hi, Folks,
>
>   I had an intersting query, today.  I don't know that I have this clear in
>
> my mind, so bear with me in the description.
>
>   The piano is labelled Thomas.  It has plastic parts in it and is probably
>
> about 20 years old.  The owner says he thought it was Irish-made had been
> handled by a company in California.
>
>   It sounds like a direct blow action of some sort in a small piano case.
> Anyway, the owner says that there are "plastic pegs" in the back of the
> key,
> underneath.  These go into some type of aluminum channel.  He believes that
>
> they help in maintaining key operations, because without them the key just
> stays down and doesn't return to position after playing.  Some of these
> "pegs" are broken and he is looking for replacements.
>
>   As I said, I'm not too clear from his description.  The piano is over an
> hour away, otherwise I'd go look at it just for my own curiosity.
>
>   From this scanty description could some one shed more light on this for
> me?
>
>   Any ideas about the piano would be welcomed.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Tom Dickson,
> Regina, SK
> Professional Piano Tuning and Repair

Tom

This sounds like a Lindner piano, made in Ireland. I don't believe they are
in business anymore. (Lindner was owned by the Rippen Piano Co. in Holland.)
I didn't know they made pianos under another name.

I had one of those, and sold the parts to Debra Legg, in Florida.
(DLLegg@aol.com) You might ask if she still has any parts left over.

But even if she does, this piano is one that should never have been made in
the first place. Except for the hammer shanks and the hammers, the entire
action, including the keys, is made out of plastic. And, as you described,
the keys have metal springs that fit into an aluminum rail. These little
springs also break. It might be a fun instrument to experiment on, but I
would drive an hour to do so.

Wim Blees