Agraffe reaming

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 08:29:22 -0700

Hi Paul,
This sounds like a good start on a Journal article, to me?  :<)

jeannie

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Yardarm103669107@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2003 10:11 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Agraffe reaming

In a message dated 4/5/2003 8:12:49 PM Central Standard Time,
RNossaman@cox.net writes:

Doesn't sound to me like much of a time saving
convenience over just replacing them.

Ron:

At http://motspheres.com/blank3.html you'll find a partial set of
pictures I've taken over the last year or so which lead me to believe
that 1) reaming just duplicates the original bad geometry of the
termination, and 2) replacing agraffes with new ones still requires a
great deal of preparation, the same as with old ones as a matter of
fact. This set of pictures will be augmented in the future with some
others illustrating where certain noises come from in that termination.
The whole point is that each agraffe, new or old, needs to be
consistently treated to polish the termination into a true curved shape,
although it is impossible to duplicate a fine capo shape with the offset
towards the counterbearing segment. Some agraffe sets in better made
pianos are in fact canted toward the singing length to create that
offset.

Paul Revenko-Jones