Upweight Maximums

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 19:39:23 -0400

At 4:06 PM -0700 4/6/03, David Love wrote:
>I think that having adequate upweight is important and I would
>choose a slightly higher balance weight in order to achieve adequate
>upweight.  But it would not be my choice to set the action up as described.

UW needs to be adequate to satisfy two requirements: a safety margin
during summer humidity, and for fast repetition. As to the former,
I'd always heard that 20g was enough. As for the latter, I don't know
an actual quantity, because here, the velocity of the parts, and the
relationship between jack and balancier pinning, and the rep spring
strength are equally important players.

I'm happy with 25g. I wouldn't need to go as high as 30. And I agree,
I may wander outside the infield in adjusting action ratios, but the
LHTR is one corner of the outfield I don't usually go.

Of course, Ric was pretty sparse in his details of the actual piano
and pianist (and I gather, technician). I expect we'll hear from him
soon.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"You'll make more money selling my advice than following it"
     ...........Steve Forbes, quoting his father, Malcome