OT: Windows Update keeps tabs on all system software

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 17:36:31 -0600

As someone already mentioned, it's no new thing.  The old Pentium III
processor used to send usage statistics back to MS quite regularly.

Like I said, get an application based firewall running in the background
of whatever other protection you have (Kerio is a good one), and set a
rule denying windows access.

Jonathan Finger RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Ned Swift
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2003 6:09 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: OT: Windows Update keeps tabs on all system software

Thanks for the info, Jonathan!!  I don't have anything sensitive on my
PC
except for the music that I write.  I was just surprised that MS called
home
and several times an hour.  I was curious about what they were up to
though.
  It was annoying have MS ask me every 5 minutes about calling home.  I
now
realize that it was happening before I had my firewall but it is still
an
intrusion of privacy.  MS does not need to know what I am doing on my PC

though I understand their reasons for such intrusions.  Thanks again!!

Ned Swift
Lowell, MI