far bridge pin

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 10:08:02 -0500

>I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'in the field'?

As opposed to in the rebuild shop or factory.

> > I'd say you have been largely wasting your time
> >seating the strings on the speaking side too.
>

>So, if I understand this correctly, you don't believe that seating strings to
>the bridge has any effect on false beats?  I thought this part of my
>post/question was pretty much standard procedure, but maybe I'm confused...

It is "standard" procedure, and that's the problem. Loose bridge pins are
nearly always the cause of false beats, and seating strings doesn't fix
loose bridge pins. Since seating strings doesn't fix the cause, why is it
so universally done? I've written about this a whole lot of times on
pianotech, most recently less than two weeks ago.

>I'd swear that seating strings to the bridge has had an effect on the
>falseness of strings, but maybe I've been experiencing the 'placebo effect'.

It's a short term improvement of the symptoms, but doesn't address the
cause, so the beats will be back.

>Same thing with tapping the bridge pins in deeper...  I had never done this
>before, but tried it on the advice of a local RPT.  The difference was like
>night and day.  The tone was SO much cleaner with less pitch variation over
>time.  My ETD visually confirmed this.

This is as hard on bridges as seating strings, and may or may not prove to
be as transient in effect. It can get the string bearing against a new
surface on the pin, but the pin may be pushed up again in the next dry
cycle and leave you right where you were with false beats. Still, this is
probably a better approach than seating strings.

>My question was whether anyone thought that the far bridge pins really have
>any effect on false beats, whether seating string to them, or tapping them
>in.  The speaking side pins certainly do, IMHO.
>
>Am I confused?
>
>Tom S

No, I see no way the back row of bridge pins can affect false beats in the
speaking length.

Ron N