Foam Rubber on Rest Rail?

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:33:35 EDT

List,

I was sitting on the floor(the tables were too small to fit an action) of a
Chinese restaurant filling the hammers of an MX 80 Yamaha 42" console when I
noticed something I had never seen or noticed before:  the hammer rest rail
"felt" was actually foam rubber.  Well, the shanks do land softly...:-) It
made me wonder about the quality of materials in the rest of the piano.

Didn't have time to do a full inspection as I was hustling to get the piano
back together in a fairly dark environment before the restaurant opened(made
it with 5 minutes to spare).  Like most Yamahas that I've tuned, it had very
few strings with false beats and the pins were consistent.  But how long
before it starts to self-destruct?  Especially since it is a Disklavier and
gets played at least 8 hours a day...

Dave Stahl