Foam Rubber on Rest Rail?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 08 Apr 2003 12:22:23 -0500

>I was sitting on the floor(the tables were too small to fit an action) of
>a Chinese restaurant filling the hammers of an MX 80 Yamaha 42" console
>when I noticed something I had never seen or noticed before:  the hammer
>rest rail "felt" was actually foam rubber.  Well, the shanks do land
>softly...:-) It made me wonder about the quality of materials in the rest
>of the piano.
>
>Didn't have time to do a full inspection as I was hustling to get the
>piano back together in a fairly dark environment before the restaurant
>opened(made it with 5 minutes to spare).  Like most Yamahas that I've
>tuned, it had very few strings with false beats and the pins were
>consistent.  But how long before it starts to self-destruct?  Especially
>since it is a Disklavier and gets played at least 8 hours a day...
>
>Dave Stahl

On Disklaviers verticals with the hammer sensors, the shanks can bounce
high enough off a felt rest rail on return to record another keystroke when
none was intended. I think the foam is just to limit the bounce, not to
save a nickle on cost over real cloth. Remember the ones with the little
pneumatic braking cylinders mounted on the rail?

Ron N