Stanwood Standards

Wed, 09 Apr 2003 12:02:17 +0200

Bill Ballard wrote:

> The Stanwood System is what it is. Although based on static
> measurements (and easily judged naive by folks with real engineering
> background), it is a complete system, and as logically sound as
> algebra. But it is also the first weight-based system of hanging an
> action around, and that's what I had been waiting for but couldn't
> have guessed at. I've never had a pianist put a complaint about an
> hard-to-play action in linear terms ("Gee, do you think it has
> something to do with the fact that the keys don't go down as deeply
> as they do on pianos which I like to play?"). They always describe it
> in terms of weight. Which I how prefer to measure and correct the
> situation.

This decribes very well indeed my own sentiments. The thing is what it is,
and all would do well to putting themselves on the proverbial school bench
for whatever time is neccessary to thoroughly understand what it is.

> As far as a language for describing actions, we've already got a half
> dozen people on this list speaking it.
>
> >Have to ask.... is this a female type physical abuse professional  ?? :)
>
> Is that a trick question or just a question about a trick?

My name sake used to be called Tricky Dick.... so you figure it out :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.