Oversize pins in "pre-war" pianos.

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:16:08 -0700 (PDT)

A 90 year old Chickering is built like a battleship,
and should have very solid support behind the block. I
don't think I'd be too worried about using oversized
pins on this one.
     But I would like to get an old set of #1 pins,
drop them in the holes of a de-strung piano, then
thoroughly  CA the block, back the pins out and try
restringing with the original size. The CA would
secure any loosening laminations, as well as
solidifying the wood, I feel. And if the holes were
too tight, smaller pins or reaming could be tried.
     And you can always turn the pins in, instead of
driving, to stress the block less.
     Thump

--- Alan Forsyth <alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk>