Killer Octave Question

Delwin D. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 07:26:25 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <A440A@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 6:53 PM
Subject: Re: Killer Octave Question

> Greetings,
>    There is also another consideration for this section of the piano.  At
> some point the bridge passes exactly equidistant from the belly rail and
the
> rim of the piano.  We know what happens when you hit a snare drum exactly
in
> the middle of the head.  There is a cancellation that kills the sound.
>
> Ed Foote RPT

Apples and pomagranites. Pianos are not snare drums. Piano soundboards work
quite well with their bridges in roughly the center of the board. That being
said, if you'll take another look at the bridge placement in most so-called
"modern" pianos you'll see that it is really quite off-center through the
killer octave region. And, that is just one of the problems.

Del