Help on aural stretch

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 19:57:44 +0200

Hello,

Play fast the lower note then the highest (broken octave) and you will
attain more stretch than wanted in a very short time.
Play the 2 notes together to check if too much or not.
Play the double octave to check for purity
Play a major chord vs. the high treble and a minor chord vs. the same treble
major chord better : you can add stretch - minor chord better : you can have
less

Evenness of the 17ths progression ( and  is possible to check (more or less)
based on "how it sound" with a little habit, as it is fast as a fly buzz.
Personally I like the 17th beats to be noticeable and not some kind of
aggressive ultra tone.

Arpeggios : if you play an arpeggio up to the treble and feel the top end is
very clear and ringing, chances are that you have too much stretch.

BTW some instruments don't accept high stretch in the treble, and I've seen
tuners using a trick that I've been told is used in harpsichord tuning and
that is tuning reverse octaves (shorter than pure) in the treble , to
produce some friction there (as I guess friction is what is expected) . The
result is more pleasing than I thought, but not on all pianos, those with a
high treble spectra (high IH) accept that way better than those with a purer
treble.

Good luck, and best regards.

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG