Climate Control; DC thoughts and concerns

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 19:37:28 -0400

Comments interspersed.

Sarah Fox wrote:

> I am also about to install climate control devices.  I will be putting a DC
> dehumidifier system in the piano for the moderate months.

Are you a piano technician?  Or do you mean that a piano technician will be
installing the Dampp-Chaser components for you?  I understand that
Dampp-Chaser's warranty is void if not installed by a piano technician.

> I am left wondering about the humidification end of DC's system, though.  I'm
> not sure I entirely trust the thing.

I understand fully.  When I installed my first complete system in a vertical
piano, I didn't trust it, either.  It was a "last resort" effort because both
the customer (a lawyer's wife) and I were frustrated that the piano wouldn't
stay in tune.  Now she says she would never want to be without it, and I have
sold dozens of systems to others.  Of course I have one for my own piano.

> I'm also left wondering whether a tiny column of water vapor from the
> humidifier will really spread over an entire sounding board and not just
> condense in the middle and/or waft away.

Proper installation is the key, and considering all the air currents you
mention, you better go for an undercover also.

> Finally, it appears to me that the heater bars and humidifier would be
> alternately fighting each other in the complete system.

Both are never on at the same time.

> It seems to me a much better approach would be to humidify the area. <snip>  I
> figure I could humidify the house to a minimum of 40% RH, using a whole-house
> humidifier/humidistat system.

Yes, I think most or all of us would agree that IF it is practical to adequately
control the whole room, that is better.  But notice the "if."  It is my
understanding that trying to raise the room humidity to 40% in the dead of
winter is risky and may result in condensation, not only on the windows but
inside walls as well, where it could be causing unseen damage.  Others may be
able to answer this better than I.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA