Mitre saw keyfront removal.

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 20:15:35 -0500

Sounds very reasonable. I'd want to make darned sure nothing moved, so maybe
a mark scribed or drawn on the sawbed or guide at the end of your clamped
stop block?

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of gordon stelter
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 7:53 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Mitre saw keyfront removal.

I haven't tried this yet, but it occurred to me that
an accurate way to remove keyfronts with a "chop-saw"
might be as follows:
     1) Place a key to the left or right of the saw
blade, depending on the "dogleg's" necessity to stay
clear of rear fence. Place it under the blade so that
exactly the right amount will be trimmed off.
      2) Take a block of some stable material and butt
it against that key's front. Then clamp another block
to the saw base, butted up against the far end of the
first.
      3) Now, by butting your "measuring block"
against the permanently clamped "stop block" and then
clamping the key in place against the "measuring
block" before tremoving it, the keys should all have
exactly the same amount of front trimmed off,
presuming no blade wobble.
     If anyone has a better idea, I would love to hear
of it.
     Thanks!
     Thump