Killer Octave Question

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 22:40:34 -0400

Owen wrote:

Ron,
Would gluing on an uncrowned long bridge not force some of the valuable
and available crown out of the rib/board assembly?
Owen Greyling, RPT Ontario, Canada

Owen,

Your right, it would. I have noticed this while building soundboards. If
the bridge is flat it fights the crown of the ribs as it is clamped into
the case. I am  no scientist and I don't have a degree in engineering
but it seems perfectly logical and consistent to machine the bottom of
the bridge to more or less follow the crown created by the ribs. I would
think this would add to the overall strength and durability of the whole
soundboard. I don't know what it does to the tone but a soundboard that
lasts longer will sound better longer.

I have worked on many brands of grand pianos and have observed that some
pianos seem not to have this feature but the two brands that
consistently show evidence of bridge crowning are Steinway and Mason and
Hamlin. Newer ones will have more crown than old ones indicating that
the crown does dissipate over time but not as fast as the ribs. Large
pianos have a much more noticeable amount of crown than the little pianos.

As some have suggested tilting the bridge back would accomplish the same
thing. I don't think so. Most bridges I see are curved in both
directions as seen from the top. Besides it would be more difficult to
plane a slight bevel to the bottom of the bridge rather that cutting a
crown into the bottom. Tilting the bridge in this way would also screw
up the position of the unisons moving them back. It is fairly simple
woodworking to re-machine the crown into the bridge root or to machine
it into a new bridge. So I say let's retain this feature. Who knows,
maybe our predecessors in this business knew what they were doing. After
all they made a lot more pianos than we ever will.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979