Killer Octave Question

Delwin D. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:47:52 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "gordon stelter" <lclgcnp@yahoo.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: Killer Octave Question

> Um, didn't Mason and Hamlin once supply dealers with a
> little demonstation gadget, in which a "rib" lay on a
> base between two rigids ends positiouned at exactly
> the "rib's" length. The insertion of a mere business
> card between one end and its stop then caused  a
> marked rise in the rib's center.
>      Thump

Yes. But, as with many other similar gadgets found in piano dealers
showrooms, it and the requisite demonstration was some deceptive. Given the
desire one can make a gadget to prove most anything. It's kind of like the
old adage about statististics and politicians: Statistics don't
lie--politicians using statistics generally do.

The gadget I remember seeing was relatively short and, compared to the
so-called "rib," was quite rigid. The rib was relatively thin and flexible.
Had the demonstrator wished, it could easily be pushed flat with very little
pressure. It was also important not to leave the rib in the gadget very
long. Most demonstrators chose not to demonstrate either of these features.

Del