Killer Octave Question

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:33:45 -0400

Greg,

If the crown was created by being deformed for many years we would see
all piano makes with this feature. If this were so they all would have
crowned bridges. But clearly some makes have crown and others don't.
Maple bridges are quite stiff and I doubt that the crown I see could be
caused by the ribs pushing up. There is after all the force pushing down
from the string bearing. I can't say if every single piano from these
sources had the same amount of crown to begin with or whether sometimes
they would leave it out but I can say with reasonable certainty that
practically every one I have removed from a soundboad had at least some
crown. It is much more obvious on the larger pianos than the smaller
ones. I have taken Model D bridges off that show a full 3/4" or more of
crown under the killer octave after fifty years. This same piano
probably had 1/8" of crown left on the longest ribs.

I will try to get to your other question later. I am tiered from all the
back and forth with Ron's postings.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin