Killer Octave Question

Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:07:31 -0700

I'm just following along on this discussion and don't have much to
contribute in terms of whether the bridge does or doesn't support crown.
But, assuming that it doesn't, the question that comes to my mind is
whether or not you could build a bridge that does support crown, and,
assuming you could, would there be any benefit.  In addition,  I recall
reading a few days (at least) ago a comment by Del in which he mentioned a
piano in which the original bridge had tapered down to a relatively reduced
height was being replaced by a bridge of fuller height (in the treble) that
would add stiffness in the upper area and that he expected it to improve
sustain--assuming my memory is serving me well here, which it may well not
and I am open to being corrected.  If that's true, and if the bridge can be
made of stiffer material, or supported in some manner, why would you not
want to use the bridge to support crown and, while your at it, have the
thickness of the bridge increasing as it goes up the scale (rather than
tapering down) to add stiffness and better impedance characteristics to the
treble section.   I realize there are problems to be considered in terms of
altering the bridge height, like what it does to the plate position, string
height, action elevations and such.  But assuming we're talking about a
full remanufacturing job, it seems these problems could be solved.  Anyway,
the basic question is, is there any benefit to considering manufacturing a
bridge of materials, shape that will support crown and/or contribute to the
kind of impedance characteristics we're looking for whether in the short or
long term.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net