On Stage & Off Topic

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 21:49:46 -0500

I got something today that I'll bet very few tuners EVER got.

Location: Fort Leonard Wood Army Base. Auditorium of huge reception and
processing building for new recruits. Room is crowded with troops waiting
for ... something.

Set-up: Enter the piano tech (me) walking onto the stage with folded tilter.
Open curtain to reveal Hamilton piano with missing front caster and cracked
up bass bridge. Begin assembling tilter. Notice that all conversation has
stopped and everyone is looking at me.

Action: Never able to resist an audience, I address the troops: "This piece
of equipment," I announce, "is the T-17 Vertical-to-Horizontal Heavy-Object
Tactical Load Shifter." A young lady raises her hand: "What does it do,
Sir?" she asks. "Allow me to demonstrate." says I. Using grand mutes to
block the rear casters, I quickly roll the tilter into position, grab the
top of the piano, and deftly lay it down.

The crowd roars: A standing O.

Huzzah, huzzah.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO