On Stage & Off Topic

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:35:28 -0700

Good for you, Alan. I used to do some work at the 29 Palms MCAGCC, but I =
never had an audience like that.=20

Snappy commentary, by the way.
Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: tune4u@earthlink.net=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 7:49 PM
  Subject: On Stage & Off Topic

  I got something today that I'll bet very few tuners EVER got.

  Location: Fort Leonard Wood Army Base. Auditorium of huge reception =
and
  processing building for new recruits. Room is crowded with troops =
waiting
  for ... something.

  Set-up: Enter the piano tech (me) walking onto the stage with folded =
tilter.
  Open curtain to reveal Hamilton piano with missing front caster and =
cracked
  up bass bridge. Begin assembling tilter. Notice that all conversation =
has
  stopped and everyone is looking at me.

  Action: Never able to resist an audience, I address the troops: "This =
piece
  of equipment," I announce, "is the T-17 Vertical-to-Horizontal =
Heavy-Object
  Tactical Load Shifter." A young lady raises her hand: "What does it =
do,
  Sir?" she asks. "Allow me to demonstrate." says I. Using grand mutes =
  block the rear casters, I quickly roll the tilter into position, grab =
the
  top of the piano, and deftly lay it down.

  The crowd roars: A standing O.

  Huzzah, huzzah.

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, MO