My Shop as a Strip Joint

Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:05:21 -0400

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:03:10 -0500 <tune4u@earthlink.net> writes:
> 1920 Geo. Steck grand. Under the wrinkled varnish(?) the wood is
> stained very dark, like a dark walnut. I used stripper on the music
desk
> pieces and found, to my consternation, that if I tried to scrub off
stubborn
> flecks with a rough sponge, I was taking off stain as well--leaving
> lighter streaks.
>
> I panicked and just stopped. But that's silly, I've got to get back
> at it.
>
> Should I just strip and sand and work with whatever I get,
> restaining or
> such?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Alan Barnard
> Stymied in Salem, MO

Hi Alan -

Stripper removes some color, scrubbing the surface clean removes some
color, sanding removes some color.  A good practice is to attempt to use
the same pressure and procedure on all pieces, at all times, when
stripping, scrubbing and/or sanding.  This will go a long way towards
yielding uniformity.  The use of dyes, in place of stains, will also help
even out color discrepancies once you begin the finishing process.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com