My Shop as a Strip Joint

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:54:23 -0700 (PDT)

Alan,
    The light streaks are caused by removal of some of
the aniline stain on the veneer. Strip all the piano
with plenty of chemical stripper, so that the varnish
just comes off in glops with no rough "scraping" or
"scrubbing". ( Round the corners on your putty knife
to prevent gouging, though ). Then wipe clean with
rags dunked in lacquer thinner.
     I like mine REALLY clean, so I follow by
scrubbing ( with the grain ) with a little brass pot
brush dipped in lacquer thinner, which removes any
remaining residue and gets the filler out of the
pores. More wiping with rags/lacquer thinner, and
maybe with Scotch-Brite (TM) pads, too.
     If you are left with uneven coloration you will
have no choice but to "remove" the aniline stain with
DILUTED chlorine bleach. do not leave the wood wet for
long, or over-dampen though, or you will mess up the
veneer! New stain will bring the wood tone back to
where you want it.
     Sound like fun? Now go to a big bookstore and get
a good book or two on refinishing ( By Bob Flexner
)for more details.
     The nicest finishes will be achieved witrh an
aniline dye stain, followed by a thin sealer coat of
clear topcoat finish, and THEN paste wood filler, and
then the succeeding topcoats. Sanding sealers will
save you a LOT of grief, but leave the finish a bit
less crystal-clear. In this fashion you can avoid that
"muddy" look found on so many "restored" pianos.
     Cheers
     Thump

P.S. Please wear protective gloves (lots of them)
carbon filter mask and goggles throughout the
procedure. These chemicals are SERIOUS neurotoxins,
and exposure to them just might cause you to vote
Republican!