Rebuilding for Performance or Show? changes - Isaac OLEG's list

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:35:50 -0400

Isaac OLEG wrote:
> Hello,
> I noticed just you said wiring, you mean you wire the hammers yourself
> ?
>
> With a machine ?
>
> What is the main advantage of doing so ?
>
> I am impressed with your attention to detail nowadays !
>
> Best Regards.
>

> Isaac OLEG

Isaac,
I made a jig to drill the holes on the drill press. It take about an
hour all together to drill the hole and thread the wires.

I can't claim any advantage to the tone by using a true compression
wire. I do it because it is not that hard to do (with the right jigs)
and could help with the durability of the hammers. Virtually all pre-war
(WW2) makers used this feature here in the US.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979