What would you do?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 11:52:56 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/03 10:40:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
ssclabr8@flash.net writes:

> Whenever I usually get to the piano, it's usually out by 10 cents or so (I
> tune it once in the summer and once in the winter).  I'm thinking of just
> floating the pitch at wherever the "A" happens to be.  That would save me
> the trouble of pitch raising and adding instability to the instrument
> (since it is so old and not in great shape).
>
> What are the thoughts on this?  Am I, as a piano technician, not servicing
> the customer properly if I don't always tune to A-440?  Is it wrong to "cut
> corners" in this case even though the client would be oblivious to it all?
>
> Thanks,
>  Corte Swearingen

If it's a swing of only 10 cents, more likely than not, you might have tuned
the piano on a "bad" day. Had you come when it was a little colder, or a
little warmer, it might have been on pitch. I always to A440. There are some
out there that float pitch. If you come only twice a year, I would go for
tuning it up to pitch. It is not going to take that much more effort on your
part.

Wim