market value

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 18:29:20 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/03 1:28:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
RNossaman@cox.net writes:

> What's the very approximate market value
> for an original condition (un abused by anything but a Pianodisc
> installation) 1975 New York Steinway D (Teflon action), and the equally
> very approximate value of the same piano competently rebuilt with new
> action, pinblock, soundboard, etc. No refinish.
>
> On list, or private, as you wish.
>
> Thanks.
> Ron N

I brokered the sale of a similar vintage D 2 years ago, (without the
Pianodisc), for $28,000. We originally asked $45,000, but the buyer argued
that it would cost $6-8,000 to rebuild the action with non Teflon parts.
Unless there was something wrong with the soundboard and pin block, I don't
know why you would want to replace them. But with a new action, restrung, and
new finish, considering a new one is about $85,000, I could see asking about
$50,000 for the rebuilt one.

Wim