Location of "Blind" dowels / Steinway Pinblock removal

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 18:39:42 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/03 11:43:30 AM Central Daylight Time,
kchaplin@optonline.net writes:

> Dear Sirs:
>
> On the subjects of removing Steinway grand (M) pinblocks whole, is there
> are "regular" location of dowels which fit into the stretcher/pinblock?
> Also, any advice you would offer on the easiest way to remove such a block
> without resorting to "cutting it out" would be much appreciated. Thanks so
> much!
>
> Sincerely,
> KC

The middle one is pretty close to the middle of the stretcher, but just to
the left, (usually), of the lock. Then there are two (one on each side),
about midway between the middle and the sides. And then there are two (one on
each side), about three inches from the rim. The quickest way to find them is
to take a chisel and drive it between the pin block and stretcher. This will
sperate the pin block form the stretcher enough for you to see the dowels. I
then take the blade of a hacksaw, and cut them. Drill out the dowels into the
inner rims, and pry the pin block loose from the inner rim by driving the
chisel underneath the pin block where it meets the rim, and the block is out.
Very easy. (takes about 5 or 10 minutes).

Wim