Curved Long Bridges

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:57:10 -0400

At 8:04 AM -0400 4/19/03, Farrell wrote:
>We were talking about a bridge from a piano with a well-designed
>stringing scale and long bridge (what other kind would you put into
>a piano?). There was an inherent assumption that hockey sticks
>belong on the ice, and not in a piano! Yes, axe that curve off the
>low tenor end of that stick and see how it balances.

Two points: Don't let your oeile get trompled. That upright long
bridge is actually straighter than a Steinway O's. In the picture,
the tenor bridge is the closest.

Nomer Doo: When you talk of balancing, I'm assuming that's along its
length (as pictured). It's a long stick; find its balance point and
both end will float in the air. I'm not sure that getting both ends
to float in the air needs to be made any easier by editing the curves
at the ends.

I just got finished realizing that any crown in a ribbed board is
incidental, and not required for support of the string load. This
meant that the underside of the bridge didn't need to be fitted to
match board curvature (crown) parallel to the board and bridge. What
remains is any extent to which the bridge may, in its path down the
board, cross the "continental divide" (as 'twere), and thus need to
have its bottom shaped to match this uphill/downhill contour. If this
isn't done, I could imagine that the flat-bottom (for lack of a
shorter word) bridge would would end up twisted in its cross section.
Then the bridge would no longer be plumb to the string plane, but
rather to the whatever point in the board's curvature you chose to
measure it.

Maybe I pulled this thinking out of the oven too soon, maybe I should
put it back in.

>BTW: Is that a hunk of granite on that table? Where did you get it?
>$$? Sorry, I couldn't resist - its the old geologist in me.

That's right. One of two panels. That one 30"x60"x2.5", and the other
42"x78"x(2.5~3.5") Rescued from an abandoned granite quarry in S. ME
20 years ago. But that's a story for another time. Mark Dierauf,
who's also on the list, might chime in on this one (seeing as how the
statute of limitations has long gone).

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I go, two plus like, three is pretty much totally five. Whatever"
     ...........The new math