Killer Octave Question

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 12:33:22 +1000

Del and all,

>At 6:25 PM -0700 19/4/03, Delwin D. Fandrich wrote:
>. . . Compression set is much more of a problem perpendicular to
>grain than it is
>parallel to grain. A compression load that will turn spruce to pulp when
>applied across grain will barely faze the same piece of wood when applied
>parallel to grain.
>
>Del

Yes indeed. Now this leads me to wonder just how much longer we might
expect a sound board with a properly laminated panel to last?

I have yet to pull down a piano with such a board in it after many
years of service, but I feel the laminated panel will be much more
reliable than anything one could build in solid spruce. The problem
with solid sound boards as I see it, is that the compression set will
always tend to occur in the weakest sections of the boards. This
explains why we see strips of the sound board panel which appear to
be free of ridging, while other sections (often located towards to
edges of the boards, and adjacent to the glue joints) will show
obvious signs of compression set. A laminated panel, on the other
hand, will tend to force to compressional load, on a sound board
panel, to be more evenly distributed across it. This is, I believe,
why laminated panels continue to retain (visually at least) an
uncompressed surface as the piano ages. Our no. 003 piano is showing
no signs of any ridging at this point in time. The panel in this
piano is a standard Samick five ply 7.5 mm thick panel (all spruce).
The new laminated panel which we are about to build for piano 6 will
have three laminations only, a center lamination of 3.5 mm, with a
top and bottom lamination of 2.25 mm each. This will allow us to sand
off 0.5 during final finishing without going below 7.5 mm.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
Grand Piano Manufacturers